ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[revised-settlement]

Registrar Woes?

  • To: <revised-settlement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Registrar Woes?
  • From: "Robert Hutchinson" <bob.hutch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 19:53:21 -0800

I don't understand why the registrars care about a price increase.
Registrars will pass any increase onto the consumers, right? Any price
increase affects all the registrars the same. So there's no registrar that's
at a competitive disadvantage.

The cost for obtaining a network address on any other "competitive"
communications network (POTS  phone, cellular or satellite} is much higher
than the cost of a .com address, and, those addresses don't deliver anywhere
near the "business value" of a .com address. If consumers want a .com,
they'll still buy a .com.  Business will be the same.

The evolution of the internet from its current form into what we all want
[security, user-policy, high-speed services, DRM, edutainment etc] requires
that we work together.  We cannot continue to spend critical resources on
endless negotiations.  I support the ICANN board decision to settle this
contract and look forward to enabling the next generation of internet.

Bob Hutchinson
Project Manager  - Dynamic Ventures Inc.
OpenView Architect - Hewlett-Packard
Home Products [cable modems & set top boxes] Architect - Hewlett-Packard
Industry Standard Servers Architect - Hewlett-Packard