ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[revised-settlement]

Please do not go against your purpose.

  • To: <revised-settlement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Please do not go against your purpose.
  • From: "Wayne Bairstow" <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 20:44:25 -0800

  As a private-public partnership, ICANN is dedicated to preserving the
operational stability of the Internet; to promoting competition; to achieving
broad representation of global Internet communities; and to developing policy
appropriate to its mission through bottom-up, consensus-based processes.

This is a snip from your website about your purpose.  As I understand the
settlement this would be in direct opposition to part of your purpose,
"promoting competition".  Perpetual Management Rights do the exact opposite
plus it removes the need to strive to keep costs down and quality up.  I have
no problem with price increases to cover the base costs or improvements to the
system, but giving any company any control over prices while limiting or
preventing competitors, creates a situation where the public will not receive
fair market prices or quality service.

I can not imagine any legal reason that a non-profit organisation with this
mandate, would enter into such an agreement.  I am not a lover of the way the
US deals with the rest of the world, but I would even prefer to see them back
in control than any single Company.

Wayne Bairstow
www.CRmap.ca