ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[sac051-draft-roadmap]

WHOIS privacy

  • To: sac051-draft-roadmap@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: WHOIS privacy
  • From: "Montreal.qc.com Administrator" <affiliate288@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 04:08:17 -0500

Hi, my concern with the new WHOIS protocol is privacy. I understand the
importance of WHOIS accuracy for law inforcement and any legal actions
against a domain owner. But as a user and a domainer I believe PRIVATE
REGISTRATION should be available to all registrants at no extra cost. No
need for pricy proxy registration services.

The public WHOIS requirements should consist of only a valid email address
where the domain registrant can be reached.

The registrars and the registries (and possibly ICANN) should have the
accurate contact info for every domain they registered and be able to
disclose the private info (name, address and phone number) to the
apropriate authorities after receiving an official court order to disclose
such information.

I think most domain owners would agree that privacy is more important than
accurate WHOIS info.

thank you

fightforthefuture.org

Montreal.qc.com