ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Revised draft Charter Terms of Reference for your review

  • To: Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>, Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Revised draft Charter Terms of Reference for your review
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 08:48:26 -0400

I agree. I actually think that the word "preliminary" was the right word. This is a tough problem that has been discussed for several years. Perhaps we will come up with an inspired solution to it in next three weeks (which is when September 13th is). Or not. If we have some indication of a direction that will work, we will need to tell the Board. Setting tight constraints is an effective mechanism to get people to produce, but it is not magic and cannot be guaranteed to work - VI is the proof if we needed one. So we need to keep our options flexible.

Based on experiences in other groups, if we wanted a final report for the 13th, we should really have a draft already to allow for the inevitable discussions over both major and detailed wording. But we have not yet even started the substantive discussion.

So let's agree to this middle ground and get to the real work.

Alan