ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

[soac-mapo] Re: replacement for 2.2 and 2.4 : next try following Mary's and Richard's comments

  • To: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-mapo] Re: replacement for 2.2 and 2.4 : next try following Mary's and Richard's comments
  • From: Bertrand de La Chapelle <bdelachapelle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 23:37:06 +0200

Milton,

Apologies for the silence, schedule in the IGF is pretty heavy.

Just to confirm that the approach is to distinguish the objections
based on universal principles (the framework for Rec 6 that we are
discussing here) and objections based on national law (that can use
the Community objection procedure).

Of course, one could envisage a government raising an objection
quoting a national law but with the additional comment that this law
is actually implementing (in it's view) an international principle. In
such a case, it would be discussed in the context of Rec 6 process (
and could be sustained or dismissed after evaluation).

The only point that I discovered myself during the conference call two
days ago is that a national law can legitimately be considered as
being the expression of a given community (the corresponding nation).
So, this justifies that a national law could be evaluated as
expressing the objection of this community, in the community
procedure. Does not mean the objection will necessarily be accepted.

As I said, I think the current community objection covers a good part
of the GAC Principles paragraph on sensitivities. But we may need to
examine this a little bit more in detail.

Hope this clarifies.

Best

Bertrand

--