ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [GAC] [soac-mapo] Terminology DRSP (and more on Rec 2.1)

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [GAC] [soac-mapo] Terminology DRSP (and more on Rec 2.1)
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 21:47:13 -0400

Why not concentrate on policy (the scope of the panel and the expected
expertise of the panelists) rather than the selection details.

Once the scope and expertise are well defined, is there any valid reason
*not* to think of the panel selection as an implementation detail? IMO, if
we can entrust the Board to make the final decision, we can also entrust it
to find suitable (and suitably un-conflicted) experts.

I am quite aware of the not-totally-unfounded concern that "entrusting the
Board" simply offers one more point of capture by support staff. That's why
we need to spend special attention making the panel's scope and function
clear and transparent. Getting the policy elements down right if far more
important (and in need of the WG's limited human resources) than agonizing
over the panel selection details.

- Evan