ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Please participate - new CWG Rec 6 Poll

  • To: soac-mapo <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Please participate - new CWG Rec 6 Poll
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 21:57:11 +0300

On 16 Sep 2010, at 18:50, Marika Konings wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Please complete the following doodle poll
> (http://www.doodle.com/yr9hatbfzr4uq8im) for the updated recommendations that
> are attached. In cases where there are multiple choices, it is okay to say
> that you support more than one if it doesn’t go against any other responses
> you made.
>
> Please complete the poll by Friday 17 September at 17.00 UTC at the latest.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marika
> <Rec6 CWG Poll 16 Sep 2010.doc>

Explanation of votes

2.2: If individual governments have objections based on contradiction with
specific national laws, such objections should be submitted through the
Community Objections procedure.

I do  not see why we are telling them they _should_ submit an objection.  They
_may_ submit, but why are we placing an obligation on them to do so?

5.2  A higher threshold of the Board should be required to approve a string.

5.5  Approval of a string should only require a simple majority of the Board
except when the expert input indicates otherwise, in which case a higher
threshold should be required.

Voted no on these two because i do not understand.

In this recommendation I think there is only 1 vote, whether to uphold the
objection or not.
I do not understand under what circumstance there will be a vote to approve a
string under this recommendation.

As far as I can tell, they will not be asked to approve a strong, until the end
of the whole application process.  That vote should be a majority vote.

a.