<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [soac-mapo] Expert Panel should give recommendation

• To: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Expert Panel should give recommendation
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:39:18 -0400

Ken Stubbs wrote:
+1 Marilyn

On 9/20/2010 9:27 AM, Marilyn Cade wrote:
Right, while I haven't talked to you about this directly, Philip, my experience with experts and expert panels is that we should be clear. The purpose of having experts is to use their expertise and task them with study, anslysis, and providing recommendations, with background on what they considered in developing their recommendations. I also do not think that panels should be 'skimped' on.

BUT, the Board, in my view, still holds the decision, even after
advice comes to them. Still they have to vote.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [soac-mapo] Expert Panel should give recommendation
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 14:43:44 +0200

Jon Nevett wrote:
The way I understand where we are on the recommendation issue is that the expert panel should provide advice as to whether or not the string violates the applicable standard (e.g. "we have reviewed the objection, and based on x we believe that .tld would be in violation of the second prong of the standard in the following ways . . . ").

There seems to be more concern over whether or not the panel then should recommend that the Board take a certain action based on that advice (e.g. "based on the foregoing, we recommend that the Board accept the objection and disapprove .tld").
-------------------------
Jon, I believe you capture the distinction well.
Where I (and perhaps Marlyn also) differ is in the belief that the advice is unlikely to be clear cut. It is only by forcing your expert to provide a recommendation based upon the balance of their expert advice, that you get value from the use of the expert.
The Board is ill-equipped to be the expert.
Philip

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy