ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Comments on 4.2 and 5.4

  • To: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Comments on 4.2 and 5.4
  • From: Bertrand de la Chapelle <bdelachapelle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:01:17 +0200

Evan,

On the first point, see my separate response to Avri : one panel for the whole
round is the preferable solution (rather than asking the Board to choose
between that option and a panel per string) and if the Board makes the
selection, the panel should probably be composed before the list of applied-for
strings is made public.

On the second point, no offense taken. You are right about the privileged
treatment mentioning one member of the group (bad precedent :-).

What about just adding the recommendation below with the mention "divergence" ?
:

"A simple majority in the Board should not be sufficient to approve a string if
the recommendation of the expert panel is that the string is contrary to
principles of International law. A super majority should be required."

Best

Bertrand de LA CHAPELLE
Special Envoy for the Information Society/Délégué Spécial pour la Société de
l'Information
French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs/Ministère des Affaires
Etrangères et Européennes
tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32