ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Comments on 4.2 and 5.4

  • To: Bertrand de la Chapelle <bdelachapelle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Comments on 4.2 and 5.4
  • From: Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 18:59:42 +0530

Hello

I am concerned about the implication of Recommendation 4.5: "The contracted
advisors will be expected to have specific expertise in interpreting law
instruments of public international law ....." which would invariably lead
to a situation where the advisors are Lawyers from Law firms engaged by
ICANN at a thousand dollars an hour, which would necessitate equally
expensive counter measures on the part of the TLD applicant.

If this is a 'morality and public order' issue, by whatever name we call it,
why do we emphasize that the Advise needs to come from Lawyers and Law
firms? This is very Californian.

Sivasubramanian M