ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] First JAS WG call - follow-up

  • To: "Olof Nordling" <olof.nordling@xxxxxxxxx>, <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] First JAS WG call - follow-up
  • From: "Anthony Harris" <harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:07:07 -0300

Olof,

Thanks for this quick summary.

First of all my apologies to you for my comments
on the call today on the text of the objectives.
No criticism of the charter intended! As you
said, it has served to start the discussion...

In line with what I expressed on the call, and if
as I interpret the charter is open for editing, I
would suggest the following objective be
added:

Objective 5 - To identify how the application fee can
be reduced to accomodate applicants that fulfill
appropriate criteria to qualify for this benefit.

With regards to some comments on the call today:

External funding support:

I would urge all participants to avoid excessive
optimism as to easy access to funding from
donor organizations, for an objective such as
obtaining delegation of a new gTLD.

I sit on the Board of GKP - Global Knowledge
Partnership - an international alliance of 130 NGOs,
donor organizations and corporations worldwide,
and securing donor funding is not all that simple
nowadays. ICT as a priority has vanished, and it
has been "mainstreamed" into donor organizations'
radar screens. The new buzzwords are "global warming".

Of course, an NGO with suitable track record and history
in working with a donor organization, might be successful
in securing funding for an application from that party, but I
would wonder if such a mechanism could be articulated
within a "New gTLD support package" for all and sundry.

Support with filing applications:

Completing the application template should not be
an insurmountable obstacle for a non-profit NGO.
Such organizations normally have available support
from academic institutions, and experience in
completing complex online funding and programme
applications related to their activities. However, should
there be a need to foresee such a contingence, one
way might be to source volunteers from the ICANN
and academic communities, who might make
themselves available on a voluntary non-paid
basis for appropriate needy applicants.

Chairs:

Co-chairs would seem appropriate for this WG

Tony Harris