ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] First JAS WG call - follow-up

  • To: <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] First JAS WG call - follow-up
  • From: Sébastien Bachollet <sebastien@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 10:16:47 +0200

+1

Sébastien Bachollet

 <mailto:sebastien@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> sebastien@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

+33 6 07 66 89 33

De : owner-soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx] De la part de Anthony Harris
Envoyé : jeudi 29 avril 2010 17:07
À : Olof Nordling; soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx

Olof,

Thanks for this quick summary.

First of all my apologies to you for my comments

on the call today on the text of the objectives.

No criticism of the charter intended! As you

said, it has served to start the discussion...

In line with what I expressed on the call, and if

as I interpret the charter is open for editing, I

would suggest the following objective be

added:

Objective 5 - To identify how the application fee can

be reduced to accomodate applicants that fulfill

appropriate criteria to qualify for this benefit.

With regards to some comments on the call today:

External funding support:

I would urge all participants to avoid excessive

optimism as to easy access to funding from

donor organizations, for an objective such as

obtaining delegation of a new gTLD.

I sit on the Board of GKP - Global Knowledge

Partnership - an international alliance of 130 NGOs,

donor organizations and corporations worldwide,

and securing donor funding is not all that simple

nowadays. ICT as a priority has vanished, and it

has been "mainstreamed" into donor organizations'

radar screens. The new buzzwords are "global warming".

Of course, an NGO with suitable track record and history

in working with a donor organization, might be successful

in securing funding for an application from that party, but I

would wonder if such a mechanism could be articulated

within a "New gTLD support package" for all and sundry.

Support with filing applications:

Completing the application template should not be

an insurmountable obstacle for a non-profit NGO.

Such organizations normally have available support

from academic institutions, and experience in

completing complex online funding and programme

applications related to their activities. However, should

there be a need to foresee such a contingence, one

way might be to source volunteers from the ICANN

and academic communities, who might make

themselves available on a voluntary non-paid

basis for appropriate needy applicants.

Chairs:

Co-chairs would seem appropriate for this WG

Tony Harris