ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] First JAS WG call - follow-up

  • To: soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] First JAS WG call - follow-up
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 12:00:06 -0400

Hi,

Some comments below.

On 29 Apr 2010, at 11:07, Anthony Harris wrote:

> External funding support:
>
> I would urge all participants to avoid excessive
> optimism as to easy access to funding from
> donor organizations, for an objective such as
> obtaining delegation of a new gTLD.

As someone who is always looking for funding either for research or for various
causes, I am certainly not optimistic.  I think, however, that there may be a
different set of funding sources that could be addressed for this effort if we
decide this is something to work on.  for example I would look to asking
registrars, one of the beneficiaries of a multitude of new products to sell and
of new vectors for their web and email etc packages as one possible source of
funding - not for individual  registries but into a fund directed to the
purpose.  And I do still believe that there will be a few auction for some of
the more 'popular' names.

Ok, maybe I am a bit of an optimist.

(snip)

> Of course, an NGO with suitable track record and history
> in working with a donor organization, might be successful
> in securing funding for an application from that party, but I
> would wonder if such a mechanism could be articulated
> within a "New gTLD support package" for all and sundry.

As I mentioned, I was not looking for the individual applicants having to raise
the funds, but for a foundation that was spun out from ICAN to provide such a
loan/grant service.  But perhaps my thinking is wrong.

> Support with filing applications:
>
> Completing the application template should not be
> an insurmountable obstacle for a non-profit NGO.
> Such organizations normally have available support
> from academic institutions, and experience in
> completing complex online funding and programme
> applications related to their activities. However, should
> there be a need to foresee such a contingence, one
> way might be to source volunteers from the ICANN
> and academic communities, who might make
> themselves available on a voluntary non-paid
> basis for appropriate needy applicants.

Having talked to quite a few potential applicants who are not involved with
ICANN at all, yu would be surprised how foreign ad baffling this all is.  And
that doesn't even get into the language barrier. Again, I am sure you are right
for some set of potential applicants, but for a process that is so difficult it
even confuses many of the insiders, I think a help desk type of function, with
perhaps more intensive advising on occasion, might be very helpful.

Of course this is a capability that many (myself included) may offering as a
contract service for coffee, donuts or even money, but not every potential
applicant will be able to afford the contractor fees.  Also, some of those who
are providing the service for a fee may also be willing to provide such
services pro bono as well.

Just a tought.

a.