ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] First JAS WG call - follow-up

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] First JAS WG call - follow-up
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 16:28:19 +0000

On 2 May 2010, at 17:00, Avri Doria wrote:

> As someone who is always looking for funding either for research or for
> various causes, I am certainly not optimistic.  I think, however, that there
> may be a different set of funding sources that could be addressed for this
> effort if we decide this is something to work on.  for example I would look
> to asking registrars, one of the beneficiaries of a multitude of new products
> to sell and of new vectors for their web and email etc packages as one
> possible source of funding - not for individual  registries but into a fund
> directed to the purpose.  And I do still believe that there will be a few
> auction for some of the more 'popular' names.

If the registry operator were a registered charity then it would make sense for
businesses (not just registrars) to help fund them, as it could be used to
offset tax. Obviously the details of how that works will vary from country to
country..

In the case of smaller TLD projects that cannot meet the "normal" application
fee they may or may not be that attractive a proposition to a registrar.

> Ok, maybe I am a bit of an optimist.
>
> (snip)
>
>> Of course, an NGO with suitable track record and history
>> in working with a donor organization, might be successful
>> in securing funding for an application from that party, but I
>> would wonder if such a mechanism could be articulated
>> within a "New gTLD support package" for all and sundry.
>
> As I mentioned, I was not looking for the individual applicants having to
> raise the funds, but for a foundation that was spun out from ICAN to provide
> such a loan/grant service.  But perhaps my thinking is wrong.

Some of the ccTLD operators have started doing this in the last couple of
years. The most obvious example is Nominet's Foundation, but I believe a few
others are following suit.

Would such a foundation be an attractive proposition for the larger registry /
registrar operators?
(Assuming that it is setup in such a manner as to be fiscally beneficial)

> Having talked to quite a few potential applicants who are not involved with
> ICANN at all, yu would be surprised how foreign ad baffling this all is.  And
> that doesn't even get into the language barrier. Again, I am sure you are
> right for some set of potential applicants, but for a process that is so
> difficult it even confuses many of the insiders, I think a help desk type of
> function, with perhaps more intensive advising on occasion, might be very
> helpful.
>
> Of course this is a capability that many (myself included) may offering as a
> contract service for coffee, donuts or even money, but not every potential
> applicant will be able to afford the contractor fees.  Also, some of those
> who are providing the service for a fee may also be willing to provide such
> services pro bono as well.

I suspect that a lot of the companies offering registry services to new TLDs
would be offering this form of consultancy as part of their gamut of services
to new TLD applicants.

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection