ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] First JAS WG call - follow-up

  • To: soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] First JAS WG call - follow-up
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:46:30 -0400

(originally sent from wrong address)

Hi,

Sounds good.

I assume that even though we will try to get lower rates, there will still be
those who need help.  So perhaps we have several threads in the group:

- finding a way to adjust the fees so that that they are more appropriate for
the user - assuming one price does not fit all  and establish some sort of
sliding scale and a basis for that scale.

- finding a way to fund those who need financial

- finding ways to provide technical and other application related help

We don't, probably, have time to do this all sequentially, so may we need to
find a way to do some of these consideration/recommendation tasks in parallel.

As for using the funds from auctions, I agree it is uncertain how much income
that will generate.  What is for certain is that those funds would not be
available until after the round and would do nothing for helping people pay
round first application fees.  It might still make sense to think of suggesting
the creation of a foundation that can aggregate funds, and manage the
distribution based on criteria yet to be determined.  But that is a detail for
later.

a.