ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG - just a thought...

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, Olof Nordling <olof.nordling@xxxxxxxxx>, soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx, Anthony Harris <anthonyrharris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG - just a thought...
  • From: Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 08:09:12 -0700 (PDT)

All,

Enjoying the chance to participate with you all and think we're off to a strong
start... though we clearly have a lot to do.
To the points so far:

1) While reducing fees per se may not be within the group's purview as an
"objective", Tony's point about reducing fees really did seem to hit home for a
lot
of WG members.  And while I get that the $185k number can't be just wished away
-- Richard's point -- I also think that per the DAG this was an "average cost".
 If not all applicants are equal, then one size shouldn't fit all and some
applicants in an averaged system could/should pay less.

2) To the question of funding, I agree that auctions are unlikely to be a
consistent source of funding and are certainly unknowable in the short term.
That said, Tony and Avri are right about the donors -- large amounts of donor
financing are not just lying around unallocated.  My guess based on some work
we've done with a World Bank administered Trust Fund is that the set up time
(admin + getting payments in) would be a minimum of two years.  So again,
donors are worth looking at but not quick.

3) To who exactly we are trying to help as our "audience" (who might get
support), I would agree there are clearly areas with more limited resources
(LDCs, etc.) and as Olof suggests, they can be a starting point.  There are
also ethnic/regional communities that might not be able to move forward without
assistance (a .Hausa, or a .Zulu or .Roma perhaps).  There are
linguistic/script communities (like Amharic).  However, when we move into the
realm of philanthropy I think it becomes pretty messy pretty quick (e.g. who
speaks for "human rights"?).  I suggest we try to keep with the other
communities, as this will likely be enough work.

4) Maybe this is basic, but part of putting this in action is determining how
much support would be needed.  Do we have any sense?  If a subsidy is
appropriate (or lower price to be averaged out), do we have any sense of how
much that amount might be?  How much would basic application support cost?

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew A. Mack
Principal
AMGlobal Consulting