ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] charter language

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] charter language
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 15:12:12 -0400

On 11 May 2010 13:55, Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I think we're on the same page.  We're looking at ways to potentially
> reduce fees based on a logical analysis of actual costs for a type of
> applicant/ string
>
> PLUS
>
> We're looking at ways to subsidize,  rather than reduce,  fees for those
> same applicants.       (note:   if such subsidization was to come from ICANN
> I think it could only come from any funds that were surplus after the first
> round was complete   (i.e.  funds from applicant fees + funds from any
> auctions -  actual costs)

[...]

PS.   ......I also agree with Avri that we need more criteria for qualifying
> applicants than non-profit status.   there are many non-profits with
> millions of dollars in net assets

Completely agreed on all counts. And not only must we narrow down the
criteria to identify those genuinely in need, we also need to install some
reasonably effective anti-gaming mechanisms. For instance, charitable
organizations that spring up for the sold purpose of operating TLDs -- even
if located in lesser-developed countries -- might be reasonably suspected of
being gaming attempts.

- Evan