ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG - Draft agenda for next call

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG - Draft agenda for next call
  • From: Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 14:33:17 -0700 (PDT)

Richard,

Many good points.  The way we've been looking at it is as follows:

1) If we're looking at subsidies/changes in price, we're thinking of things
that would come through or connected to ICANN.  If using your example WCC finds
other money to support a bid, that is their choice, but it would essentially be
outside our discussion.

2) The question of the base number is a separate question, yes.  If ICANN comes
back and agrees on the basis of Tony's persuasive arguments that the $185
number should really be $125, that's great.  If a case is made that a class of
applicant would be cheaper, similarly, great.  Some groups might not want/need
assistance at the lower application cost, I don't know.  I'm assuming any
subsidy/price break would be in addition to these numbers, based on
demonstrated need and agreed criteria.

3) Sure.  Makes sense.

4) Re: .web or .inc, I agree.  We should keep any subsidies/price breaks highly
targeted to groups that really need them.

5) Regarding free or discounted registry services, this is an interesting idea
and one that I hope we can be creative with.  As you remember (because you
replied to the blog post), I think the community -- including registries -- can
(and should) be incentivized to help build out in smaller scripts (e.g.
Amharic, Georgian) by offering a kind of "bulk price" when looking at IDNs.  My
guess is "cheaper by the dozen" bulk pricing is more likely to be successful
(and sustainable) than simply asking for things for free, as there are
incentives all around.

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew A. Mack
Principal