ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] WG2 - update from Andrew

  • To: Elaine Pruis <elaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] WG2 - update from Andrew
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 19:40:18 +0000

On 7 Jun 2010, at 18:26, Elaine Pruis wrote:

> One more question:
> Should we require that applicants requesting financial support prove they
> have made significant efforts at obtaining money through other avenues first?

That would make sense to me

I'm not sure how you would decide on what would constitute "significant
efforts", but I guess you could treat it similarly to the way social services
do when someone is looking for dole money ie. show proof that you've made some
effort to get a job

> [...]
>>

>> What kinds of support might be offered?
>>
>> Tools to facilitate new applications
>>
>> Translation of relevant documents
>>
>> Help with the application process, including legal and filing
>>
>> Awareness/outreach campaign to make more people in underserved markets aware
>> of the gTLD process
>>
>> Fee reduction/subsidization/phased-in payment for applicants
>>
>> Tools to support applicants
>>
>> Infrastructure – IPv6 compatible hardware and networks
>>
>> Education/consulting to help with DNSSEC implementation
>>
>> Possible technical waivers/step-ups
>>
>> Grouping and/or lower cost registry service/CoCCA-type back end service
>>
>> Tools to motivate build-out of additional scripts in new gTLDs for
>> underserved languages/IDNs
>>
>> Discounts to incentivize build out in smaller scripts
>>
>> Bundled pricing to make it easier to build out in multiple scripts
>>
>> Clear tests to prevent gaming
>>

>> Other recommendations:
>>
>> Co-financing – Support should comprise not more than 50% of total
>> application need to encourage accountability
>>
>> Sunset period – Support should have an agreed cut-off/sunset point, perhaps
>> 5 years, after which no further support will be offered to encourage
>> sustainability
>>
>> Transparency – Support requests and levels should be made public to
>> encourage transparency
>>
>> Applicant form – Not all applicants need to be non-profits, and some might
>> start as non-profits but morph into hybrids or for-profits as time goes on
>>
>> Government support – A community receiving some support from government(s)
>> would not disqualify that community from receiving gTLD support.  However,
>> the process is not designed to subsidize government-led initiatives.
>>
>> Rebates/revolving fund – For applicants that receive support, if the gTLD
>> makes money significantly above and beyond what is called for in the
>> business case, the recipient would agree to re-pay the equivalent of funds
>> used in the application subsidy to a revolving fund, which would be used to
>> support future applications.
>>

>> Funding sources discussed:
>>
>> Foundations
>>
>> Donors
>>
>> Auction proceeds
>>
>> Other contributions
>>

>> Additional Questions and Possible Responses:
>>
>> Q: What geographic distribution pattern if any do we wish to follow?  A:
>> Favor LDCs in terms of taking a greater proportion of their applications in
>> early months, to be revisited and adjusted later in the process.
>>
>> Q: Can we offer standardized plans of support?  A: This will become clear
>> over time, but standardizing packages of support should help reduce support
>> costs.
>>
>> Q: Is there a minimum number of people in a community needed to create
>> “critical mass” for viability?  A: There was extensive discussion around
>> this, but obviously this will depend on the business model used.  With time
>> a non-traditional business model should be explored for work with smaller

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection
ICANN Accredited Registrar