ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] continuity of operations funding requirement

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] continuity of operations funding requirement
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 08:21:06 -0400

Restricting the instrument to a currency which requires conversion to create, and conversion to consume during a continuity event is avoidable.

Similarly, restricting the legal form of the instrument to a jurisdiction remote to the actual execution of the continuity function is avoidable.

I've always thought of this as a "Delaware Incorporation, US Dollars" hidden cost in the DAG. If the applicant is a Delaware Corporation (or more broadly, incorporated in the US and a few other jurisdictions) and its working currency is US or Canadian dollars or Euros, then there is negligible _extra_ cost to obtaining in the instrument itself. If the applicant is not in "Greater Delaware" using dollars-or-euros, then the _extra_ cost to obtaining the same financial instrument is non-negligible.

This is independent of the length of time the instrument is intended to provide continuity for, Danny's 3m to 6m figure, or Staff's 3y to 5y figure, or the actual cost, my "hard to measure" for mid-five-figures and below or any other estimate (and I don't know of any other, except the implied one in the $25,000/yr recurring cost as a Marina del Rey cost-recovery for staffing each contract).

Eric