ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] continuity of operations funding requirement

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] continuity of operations funding requirement
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 08:10:54 -0700

Eric,

I don't understand what you're saying below.  Can you put it in more simple
language?

My understanding of the Financial Continuity Instrument is an amount of cash,
or an irrevocable cash instrument,  which the registry places under the control
of ICANN.    In the event the registry goes bankrupt ICANN will use that  cash
to fund basic registry operations for existing registrants in the TLD for a
period of three years  ('basic operations' being DNS resolution,  SRS database
updates,  WhoIs, Escrow,  etc).

If,  for example,  a registry's business plan has a peak load of 30,000 domains
and the cost of running basic registry operations for those domains is $100K
per year then the registry must place $300K in the Financial Instrument.
Should the failed registry be sold to a new operator the unused portion of the
$300K in the Financial Instrument would become part of the new operator's
Instrument with ICANN.

I agree with Tijani and others that three years is over-long.  The basic
principle is for TLDs where no new operator can be found ----  hence the
Instrument funds service for existing registrants while they transfer their
address to a different TLD.  It seems to me 1 or 2 years is adequate time for
this.

RT