ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: Bundled pricing proposed language

  • To: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: Bundled pricing proposed language
  • From: Elaine Pruis <elaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 07:23:00 -0700

On Aug 31, 2010, at 6:56 AM, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:

Further, the Nairobi language does not instruct us to be constrained by cost recovery, but to be responsive to need, so we do not need to make reference to a "cost recovery principle".

Resolution 20 says "Whereas, ICANN has a requirement to recover the costs of new gTLD applications and on-going services to new gTLDs;"
this concept has been a core principle of our work. From the WG Charter:

Objective 2: To identify how the application fee can be reduced and/or subsidized to accommodate applicants that fulfill appropriate criteria to qualify for this benefit, in keeping with the principle of full cost recovery of the application process costs.

Second, the response to material need, and linguistic need, is not limited to bundling second and subsequent strings, but should apply to single applications for single strings.

+1
I am not ok with providing limited resources to an applicant that wants multiple versions of the same string "whether or not they requested support as outlined in sections a) and b) above."

Elaine Pruis
VP Client Services
elaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+1 509 899 3161