ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: Bundled pricing proposed language

  • To: Tijani BEN JEMAA <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>, Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: Bundled pricing proposed language
  • From: Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 05:18:04 -0700 (PDT)

Avri,

Below please find the language Tijani and I are proposing for the section on
bundled pricing (bullet c under what kind of support can be offered).  Hope
this
works for everyone.

Thanks and speak to you soon, Andrew
----------------------

Build-out in underserved languages and IDNs for new gTLDs
The Working Group strongly supports bundled pricing for applicants willing to
apply for multiple scripts simultaneously.

The goal of bundled pricing would be to encourage applicants to build out in
numerous scripts at once by making it easier and less expensive to build out in
additional scripts – especially scripts that are currently underrepresented in
the root – and helping to combat a possible increase in the “digital divide”
for
countries and regions with less common scripts.

The effort would continue to follow ICANN’s cost recovery principle, as much of
the cost reduction would come from ICANN’s lower evaluation costs for bundled
applications, which would be evaluated once (not separately) on a series of
technical and business criteria.

Importantly, bundled pricing should not take resources away from the other
support activities that the WG proposes, and would be open to any applicant
whether or not they requested support as outlined in sections a) and b) above.

Finally, the Working Group recommends the development of clear tests to prevent
gaming and ensure that support reaches its targets.
Andrew A. Mack
Principal
AMGlobal Consulting

+1-202-256-1077