ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Prioritization

  • To: "SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Prioritization
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 16:55:47 +0200

Hi,

As I suggested, Working Groups are not supposed to be about voting.  They are
about the attempt to find levels of consensus, the fuller the better.

I am personally against votes in working groups, because as we have seen after
such a vote, or even a poll, people do not agree about what the vote means.
Also there are no specific number that mark  near consensus versus strong
support.  In other groups that have used polls, we have then gotten into long
discussions about what to do with the polls.

I believe that as other people participate in this conversations, we can better
determine the level of support each statement has.  For example as other people
chime in support of the various positions we can tell the level of support.
And the chairs, separately or together, estimate the level of support and we
see how many disagree with these statement, we can get closer to an accurate
statement on the level of support.

My perception in this case is that we had a previous WG position for
limitation.  The WG then discussed your issues and moved from the position
documented in the snapshot to one of Prioritization.   At this point you are
the main person arguing against Prioritization.  So yes, at this point, I think
we either have near consensus or at the least strong support for Prioritization
and one voice and perhaps some support for no limitations other than financial
basis.

I suggest that people continue discussing it and that more people weigh in with
their points of view.  That will let the group know and inform the
determination of the level of support better.

Thanks

a.