ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Prioritization

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Prioritization
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 15:57:07 -0400

On 9/6/10 2:05 PM, Richard Tindal wrote:
To add a nuance to Rafik's comment on /'entrepreneurs in those too
tight markets'/

We have:
o communities applying in their own behalf in (a),
o non-governmental, civil society and non-profit entities applying, either on behalf of a service community, as in a, above, or on behalf of their organic interest, o applicants characterized only by their location, and not necessarily the market they are proposing to create or enter, o applicants for languages whose presence on the web is limited, and at present Arabic accounts for 0.3% of the overall content available on the internet while Arabic speakers represent 7% of the total world population [1],
o entrepreneurs, with the "too tight" condition.

The logical implication of the existing language is that not only is
the entrepreneur from the tight market but that also *the proposed TLD
is focused on that market.*

I think the implication is that applications for communities, for civil society, for locales in emerging markets/developing countries and for languages are not limited to the communities themselves, to NGOs, to specific locations, and to language development interests, but they may also be made, in the absence of any of the above, by entrepreneurs.

If we retain this type of applicant as worthy of support (and I
understand Rafik is proposing that we don't) I think we should clarify
that the TLD, also, is focused on the '/too tight market"/. If we
don't make that clarification the recommendation wont make logical sense.

I understand that to be Rafik's view also. My candidate for Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation in the 2005 race just got to Santiago, Chile, and a mutual friend asked if she could take a side-trip to Easter Island (where there is a real problem between Chile and the indigenous population of Rapa Nui). I'll use this as an example.

Easter Island is a pretty tight market. Suppose an entrepreneur living in Hanga Roa wants to compete with Verisign in the Polynesian market. Do we leave this market by default to Verisign or an application by AusRegistry because the offer to compete (from an entrepreneur in Hanga Roa) was for something not a "too tight market"?

Obviously I disagree with Rafik, since we need not limit service to only those Communities, Organizations, locales and languages which are capable themselves, in 2011, of putting forth an application under ICANN's terms and conditions. We know that the American Red Cross, which is on the high end of NGOs with funds, isn't ready to apply in their own right, by themselves, and operate any resulting delegation. This will go to an "entrepreneur", leaving the ARC holding only a contract and no core competencies [2], and this will be repeated around the world.

We can allow service to be started by entrepreneurs, and their markets, the communities, NGOs, regional users and language communities, will influence them as their use of the DNS develops.

Need is not created, or negated, by the legal form of the applicant.

Eric

[1] source: King Abdullah Initiative for the Arabic Content at www.econtent.org.sa.
[2] yes, that is a double entendre.