ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Upcoming plans

• To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Upcoming plans
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 12:28:32 -0700

HI Avri,

I see three items we still need to discuss before the paper is finalized (apologies for not mentioning on the call this morning, I was driving):

A. The proposed language for lines 264 and 265 (email thread Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] text for lines 269-270)
http://forum.icann.org/lists/soac-newgtldapsup-wg/msg00514.html
http://forum.icann.org/lists/soac-newgtldapsup-wg/msg00517.html

Two proposals for revised language for lines 269-270

"1. -Discuss and establish methods for coordinating any assistance volunteered by providers (consultants, translators, technicians, etc. ); match services to qualified applicants; broker these relationships and review the operational quality of the relationship.

2. "Establish methods for coordinating cooperation among qualified applicants, and assistance volunteered by third parties."

Suggest we either add a bullet point discussing encouraging cooperation or wrap the concept of coordination into the first proposal, as the actions proposed are lost in the second proposal.

B. Email thread [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On the donor item, at 264/265)
http://forum.icann.org/lists/soac-newgtldapsup-wg/msg00549.html

"This is the current text at 264 and 265:
o "Establishing relationship with any donor(s) who may be able to help in first round with funding;"

ICANN has staffed a public relations role for a substantial portion of its existence. In embarking upon a program of locating and cultivating contacts in the donor community ICANN should create a development role.

Therefore, the Working Group recommends that ICANN begin a search for a development director with an initial goal of securing commitments for $10,000,000.

The Working Group also recommends that ICANN put in place the means for existing registrants to contribute to the development program through registrar-to-registry contribution pass-through, and enable non-registrant small donors to contribute to the development program, and concurrent with the execution of the development message to the donor communities, that the development message also be delivered to the registrant, and non-registrant user communities through earned and paid media.

This is the recommended replacement text:
o "Recommend adding a donor development program to support qualified applicants."

I see no email discussion at all on this proposal

C. Questions to the group posed by Karla:
RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: feedback on the recommendations for board summary - can we clarify?
http://forum.icann.org/lists/soac-newgtldapsup-wg/msg00530.html

There has been no discussion on the mailing list of Tijani's response (or anyone else's) to the questions posed by Karla.

May I ask you to request each working group member respond to these three threads? (I'm writing mine now).

Thanks,

Elaine

On Sep 10, 2010, at 9:42 AM, Avri Doria wrote:

Hi,

First let me apologize again for my absence this week and next. IGF comes but once a year and as a member of the secretariat it is rather all consuming. I thank you all, especially my co-chair for carrying on in my absence. I am especially sorry that it occurred at the same time as Karla's vacation and that we did not have anyone who was able to cover her - making Evan's burden all the larger.

At the end of todays meeting I spoke of my plans for this weekend and made a recommendation for how to proceed in the immediate future.

I will first listen to the recordings of the 2 calls and then will make a pass through the document trying to record both the consensus that has been reached in many places and the varying positions in the places where we have not reached consensus. I will, as much as possible, use the language that is already in the document and that people have offered. I ask anyone who has promised to submit language to do so as quickly as possible so that it can be included. I will do my best to understand where we are at and set it down as neutrally as I can.

I will of course put any new language in a marked up form so people can easily find it.

The plan is then to also write a cover note that explains that this is snapshot 2 and to cover the degree of consensus that we have.

Once the WG has had a chance to review it, (thought the chance will be brief) Evan and I can then send it on to the board and our 2 Chartering organizations.

And then we can keep working toward our final product - both on the final document and the comment response.

a.

Elaine Pruis
VP Client Services
elaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+1 509 899 3161

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy