ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Upcoming plans

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Upcoming plans
  • From: Elaine Pruis <elaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 12:28:32 -0700

HI Avri,

I see three items we still need to discuss before the paper is finalized (apologies for not mentioning on the call this morning, I was driving):

A. The proposed language for lines 264 and 265 (email thread Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] text for lines 269-270)
http://forum.icann.org/lists/soac-newgtldapsup-wg/msg00514.html
http://forum.icann.org/lists/soac-newgtldapsup-wg/msg00517.html

Two proposals for revised language for lines 269-270

"1. -Discuss and establish methods for coordinating any assistance volunteered by providers (consultants, translators, technicians, etc. ); match services to qualified applicants; broker these relationships and review the operational quality of the relationship.

2. "Establish methods for coordinating cooperation among qualified applicants, and assistance volunteered by third parties."

Suggest we either add a bullet point discussing encouraging cooperation or wrap the concept of coordination into the first proposal, as the actions proposed are lost in the second proposal.

B. Email thread [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On the donor item, at 264/265)
http://forum.icann.org/lists/soac-newgtldapsup-wg/msg00549.html

"This is the current text at 264 and 265:
o "Establishing relationship with any donor(s) who may be able to help in first round with funding;"

ICANN has staffed a public relations role for a substantial portion of its existence. In embarking upon a program of locating and cultivating contacts in the donor community ICANN should create a development role.

Therefore, the Working Group recommends that ICANN begin a search for a development director with an initial goal of securing commitments for $10,000,000.

The Working Group also recommends that ICANN put in place the means for existing registrants to contribute to the development program through registrar-to-registry contribution pass-through, and enable non-registrant small donors to contribute to the development program, and concurrent with the execution of the development message to the donor communities, that the development message also be delivered to the registrant, and non-registrant user communities through earned and paid media.

This is the recommended replacement text:
o "Recommend adding a donor development program to support qualified applicants."

I see no email discussion at all on this proposal

C. Questions to the group posed by Karla:
RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: feedback on the recommendations for board summary - can we clarify?
http://forum.icann.org/lists/soac-newgtldapsup-wg/msg00530.html

There has been no discussion on the mailing list of Tijani's response (or anyone else's) to the questions posed by Karla.

May I ask you to request each working group member respond to these three threads? (I'm writing mine now).

Thanks,

Elaine