<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Financial instrument

• To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Financial instrument
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 19:41:37 -0400

On 10/1/10 3:27 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

Hi,

thanks.

This would be really good material for one of the FAQ entries.

E.g. Why should the security period be lowered from 3 years

It is not a "security period", it is a "continuity period", and the purpose that requires 36 months is not clearly identified. Richard made a guess at it -- time required for a registrant to re-brand in some other name space. I was unconvinced since there is no possible alternative to re-brand from one community's associated name space to another community's associated name space.

I think it might make the recommendation more complicated and make the 
recommendation would get lost in the discussion.

We all have our thoughts. If you prefer to offer a simple alternative to the continuity instrument as-is, fine. What I wrote was to recap the mail and vacation-interrupted conversation I had with Karla, and to explain that "continuity" is quite different for applicants in-isolation than for applicants in-cooperation.

One of our fundamental issues is whether our framework assumes (and promotes) needs-qualified applicants acting in isolation from each other or assumes (and promotes) needs-qualified applicants acting in cooperation with each other.

CORE, Afilias, CoCCA, are all instances of cooperation in the registry and registrar markets, as are ARIN, RIPE, APNIC, and LACNIC, and at some level of abstraction, ICANN itself, as cooperation among the SOs.

If there is consensus to offer a continuity instrument related proposal, then all the rational drops away and one of us, you or me or someone else, simply writes the declarative prose proposal.

Eric

a.

On 1 Oct 2010, at 15:02, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:

Tijani, Avri,

This (Tijani's variation on Richard's suggestion) lowers the months at some 
cost per month from 36 to 6.

What this doesn't do is provide a rational basis for the cost per month.

There is a fixed costs, the monthly reports to ICANN being one.

There are the variable costs, the minimum power, cooling, connectivity, computational 
capacity, office space and staffing, for operations "during continuity".

My first claim (really a CORE operational observation) is that both the fixed 
and variable costs are so small that an operator providing back-end services to 
a very few registries would write off the overhead of both costs.

So, where a few applicants share facilities (line 253 Avri), the proper amount 
the applicants should deposit as a continuity instrument is zero.

My second claim is that where two or more registries being "continuity", there is only 
nominal cost for each additional registry being "in continuity". The incremental cost of 
doing the N+1 monthly report to ICANN is nominal. The incremental cost of operations is nominal.

So, as long as some of the applicants who form shared facilities (again, line 253) are not "in 
continuity", there is no additional cost from sharing applicants going "into 
continuity".

Now suppose the Board rejects this too, and the applicants must all set aside 
some amount representing N months (possibly 36) at a burn rate the Board finds 
credible.

What happens when an registry commences "continuity" operations?

Does the current operator draw from the fund or does the fund go to some other 
operator, who will then draw from the fund, until the fund is exhausted, or 
possibly until the operations are profitable, and the operator (original or 
subsequent) replenishes the continuity fund?

Is this a "contingency" capability, or is it a transfer of resources from an applicant meeting the 
"needs" criteria to an operator, perhaps one of VGRS, AF, NS, CORE, ... that does not meet the 
"needs" criteria, which is triggered at any time ICANN, or a market dominated by VGRS, AF, NS, 
CORE, ..., causes small registries early in their operational history to have revenues that don't meet 
expenses for a quarter?

Eric

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy