ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] 2.19-3

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] 2.19-3
  • From: Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 19:55:36 -0700 (PDT)

Avri and all,

I agree with a number of the things said in earlier comments.  Two points stick
out where I believe the wording of the report go well beyond the discussion we
have and should be amended:

1) to the question of whether entrepreneurs from difficult markets would be
eligible, this was the gist of what seemed like a very strong consensus over
the
course of some months -- a consensus led and articulated by the WG members from
and with the greatest experience in those markets.  I think the poll mis-states
the views of the group and we should discuss

2) on IDN support, the majority view called for endorsement from the community,
but as Elaine and others have said, wording that calls for some sort of
endorsement from community, NGO AND local companies is likely impractical and
was not what we discussed over these many months.  In both cases, the WG called
for a connection to the community, but creating a standard asking for the
endorsement by all three groups is not what the group has called for.  I'd like
to suggest this language should be changed, at least to and/or and in both
cases
I'd prefer to see language something like "endorsement from community groups,
NGOs or companies from the script-linguistic group" -- something that is
practical and fits the gist of our discussion.

Finally and generally, I understand the importance of coming to decisions and I
respect the effort to put together a poll on that basis.  That said, let's be
careful not to disregard the many many hours of people who took the time to
slog
through these issues and make the poll our one and final determinant.  Where
the
consensus of the call and that of the poll differ, let's discuss and understand
why.  If the poll results show opinions different from the group's core
participants, let's at least reflect this difference somehow in our language.

Thanks.  Andrew

Andrew A. Mack
Principal
AMGlobal Consulting