ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] developing countries/nations - clarification on classification to be adopted and input on definition

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] developing countries/nations - clarification on classification to be adopted and input on definition
  • From: Karla Valente <karla.valente@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 18:04:38 -0700

Dear all,

As  discussed last Friday during the JAS WG conference call, we need to
standardize some terminology. I would like to get the WG opinion on which
classification to adopt for the developing nations/countries and comments on
the proposed definition below.

We have 2 options:

1. World Bank classification, which is adopted by ICANN's Fellowship Program.
The Fellowships program uses the low income; lower middle income;
upper-middle-income countries for eligibility - basically all but the
wealthiest top layer is eligible.
http://data.worldbank.org/about/country-classifications/country-and-lending-groups

2.       UN classification - Least Developed; Landlocked; Small Island
Developing States
http://www.unohrlls.org/en/ldc/related/62/
We need to add emerging markets if UN list adopted. What official list you want
to use?

Here is a proposed definition, pending the selection of the standard
classification:

Developing nations/countries - for operational and analytical purposes, the JAS
WG recommend the adoption of _____________________ classification. The official
list can be found here:  _________. The WG notes that ___organization might
update its classification from time to time. Also, the WG acknowledges that
agencies that if the future participate in the Applicant Support Development
Program as funding agencies might adopt its own developing nations/countries
classification.

Thank you,

Karla Valente
Product/Services Director