ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Agenda for Tuesday 16 november

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Agenda for Tuesday 16 november
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 11:02:12 -0500

On 15 November 2010 08:40, Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Most importantly there has been a request for an amendment to change one of
> the work items
>
> from:
>
> > Review the basis of the US$100,000 application base fee to determine its
> full origin and to determine what percentage of that fee could be waived for
> applicants meeting the requirements for assistance.”
>

> to:
>
> > “Work with the ICANN new gTLD implementation staff to determine how the
> fee waivers would be funded.”
>
> I have argued that these motions are not interchangeable,

I don't see this as a matter of opinion. They clearly are not interchangable
and indicate a significant departure. The proposed change asserts that the
"waiver" would be an externally funded subsidy rather than fee reduction.

They're not mutually exclusive and I don't see why not to include both.

- Evan