ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Agenda for Tuesday 16 november

  • To: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Agenda for Tuesday 16 november
  • From: Elaine Pruis <elaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 08:39:49 -0800

On Nov 15, 2010, at 8:02 AM, Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 15 November 2010 08:40, Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> Most importantly there has been a request for an amendment to change one of
> the work items
>
> from:
>
> > Review the basis of the US$100,000 application base fee to determine its
> > full origin and to determine what percentage of that fee could be waived
> > for applicants meeting the requirements for assistance.”
>

> to:
>
> > “Work with the ICANN new gTLD implementation staff to determine how the fee
> > waivers would be funded.”
>
> I have argued that these motions are not interchangeable,
>

> I don't see this as a matter of opinion. They clearly are not interchangable
> and indicate a significant departure. The proposed change asserts that the
> "waiver" would be an externally funded subsidy rather than fee reduction.

Which is fully in line with a clear directive from the Board that funds should
come from outside:
RESOLVED (2010.10.28.22), the Board further stresses that any needy applicant
support program must have a sustainable funding model that may be independent
of ICANN and can be implemented transparently, and effectively to the benefit
of the global Internet community.

There have been several resolutions from the Board on our work and not one has
indicated they would lower any fee.

I suggest we focus our energy and efforts on the items that have the best
chance of succeeding.