ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] proposal for JAS session - Thursday 9 - 10 AM EDT

  • To: <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] proposal for JAS session - Thursday 9 - 10 AM EDT
  • From: "Tijani BEN JEMAA" <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 00:53:39 +0100

Avri and all,

We have a session of 60 minutes only. I do want to avoid the experience of
Brussels in term of the WG speaking time.

I think we all agree that we should speak for enough time to explain, inform
and stimulate feedback, but not for long time letting the opportunity to the
floor to intervene.

I think we need to agree on the amount of time we will use. I propose the
following:

*         7 min    Sébastien Bacholet to introduce the work done and answer
the 3 questions Karla provided.

*         13 min  Slides presentation

*         40 min  Floor feedback

As I said in a previous e-mail, I do prefer that those who spoke in the
Brussels session don’t do this time. I proposed Alan, but I’m fine with the
one you all choose. Sébastien didn’t speak in Brussels. We need now to
choose the one who will present the slides and moderate the session.

I would like to make it very clear that this is not that I don’t like Avri
and Evan. I do like them very much, and that’s why I invited them to come to
the AFRALO-AfrICANN meeting in Cartagena. I also proposed that one of them
presents the outcomes of the JAS WG. They are both excellent, and even if I
don’t always share their views, I do appreciate very much their hard work
and their initiatives. I’m especially fascinated by the commitment and the
nice work of Avri in this working group. Even also, I worked with him in
other working groups, and I do like his energy and his commitment.

As for the “presentation with frequent opportunities for conversation from
the floor, including amplifications by JAS Wg members, questions/comments
form others”, I’m afraid we will come back to the Brussels case. If at every
slide I or any other members of the WG want to comment, we may loose our
objective. I do like the idea of a debate after each slide, but in this
case, we need to divide the 40 min on the number of slides to be sure that
we spend an appropriate time discussing each slide. Our intervention as WG
members should be minimum and be done in the following cases:

*         To answer a question from the floor

*         To stimulate the feedback from the attendees

*         To reorient the debate when we feel that the discussion is going
to a wrong way

We should prepare ourselves for our interventions. I think that we need
either a face to face meeting in Cartagena prior to the session, or a
conference call.

I remember that in Brussels, the feedback from the floor wasn’t sufficiently
interesting. That’s why we need to stimulate and orient it in Cartagena.

Sorry for the long mail.

Tijani BEN JEMAA

Executive Director

Mediterranean Federation of Internet Associations

Phone : + 216 70 825 231

Mobile : + 216 98 330 114

Fax     : + 216 70 825 231