ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Support for Rafik and Carlton

  • To: soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Support for Rafik and Carlton
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 19:11:28 -0500

Hi,

I want to personally say that I can support Rafk and Carlton as co-chairs of
this group. First I think that it is important that a group for Support of New
gTLD Applicants from developing economies not continue to be chaired by a
Canadian and an American.  Second I think that they have the energy and talent
to carry this job through to completion.

I do need to point something out in order to avoid accusations of hypocrisy
from some outside of this group.  I have recently made insistent arguments
within the GNSO concerning a belief I have that people should not both chair a
group and be on the group's chartering/oversight organization, in this case the
GNSO Council for Rafik and  ALAC for Carlton.  I have found that, in general, I
am alone in this belief, so it does not matter that much.  Yet I believe I
could not endorse Rafik and Carlton without at least mentioning it.  I have
been told that perhaps the conflict of interest I see can also be dealt with by
the (co-)chair of a group recusing themselves from votes in the chartering
body.  It should be noted that this is not mandated in any procedure and is
completely up to the individual GNSO Council or ALAC member and the chartering
body they belong to.

Having said that, I reiterate, I think they would make good co-chairs for the
group.

a.