ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] FW: JAS WG Milestone - response and recommendation

  • To: "SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] FW: JAS WG Milestone - response and recommendation
  • From: Karla Valente <karla.valente@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 06:28:31 -0800

fyi

Thank you and kind regards,

Karla Valente
+1 310 936 4639

From: patti barkett [mailto:ppb2dc@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 10:46 AM
To: Karla Valente
Subject: Re: JAS WG Milestone - response and recommendation

Karla,

Yes you may distribute my revised comments see below to the "Working Group" in
response to the Milestone report:

Under your proposed plan, there are two key groups who will be excluded from
this "Boomer Sooner type" opportunity. It is these same two groups who have the
most to contribute and the most to gain on a global scale.

Two Groups excluded:
Entrepreneurs/SME's in Green Technology Solutions
Third World Countries in survival mode - no resources

These groups will miss the chance to compete in a positioning opportunity that
establishes a global marketplace and equal access should be a right. This gives
an unfair market advantage to the larger established groups who will surely
flag and squat on many locations available with this new opportunity.

Solutions:

First, level the playing field for emerging green technology
entrepreneurs/SME's by reducing the participating fee structure to a fee more
in line with USPTO online registration fees. This group has the potential to
make the most positive impact for positive changes with global implications.

Second:
Third world countries with little or no existing technological infrastructure
to reach the world market will be left behind. They don't have the personnel,
expertise and resources required to compete.
Once the gate is opened to apply, this becomes a time sensitive issue claiming
rights to establish a global presence.

This is a perfect chance to deal both of these groups in so they can compete
with the big dogs at the same table. Frankly, I think it is in everyone's best
interest to provide assistance and/or financial consideration to create these
new market channels, encourage more environmentally friendly business ventures
and offer an independent path for long term economic recovery.

Proposal:
Consider a pilot program for one country (why not Haiti) with fees waived and
assistance provided. This is a proactive way to jump start their economy and
also gives other countries who can't afford to hire or dedicate existing staff
for this effort a process to make it simpler to apply.

You can post this on public comments with my initials and Maryland location
only. Feel free to include my name and email to distribute to the "Working
Group".

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Sincerely,
Patti Barkett
Rockville, Maryland
ppb2dc@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:ppb2dc@xxxxxxxxx>
On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Karla Valente