ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On the v6 requirement

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On the v6 requirement
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 09:43:09 -0500

Hi,

Found the answer to my own question. Apologies for asking a dumb question, i
was just a few moths behind in my ARIN PPML reading.

ARIN:  Policy Proposal 123: Reserved Pool for Critical Infrastructure (included
below)

Though from reading through the ARIN PPML list, I don't get the impression
there is much support for the notion that everyone can't just do IPV6.  - in
fact a least one person says they can just go to t a colo site site that has
IPv6, so this may be an uphill struggle.

Also I do not really see how:
- a program for emergencies would be used for applicant support
- it would make a whit of difference to ICANN requirements for IPv6.

A question I have, even in ARIN's territory, is the assumption the IPv6 is
available in a sufficient number of collocation sites a reasonable assumption.
And how reasonable is this on a world wide basis.  Does anyone have fact of the
number of colo sites that support v6 in the world?

Also how long does an ARIN PDP usually take, i.e would this policy be in effect
by the time the applicant process started.

a.

> ## * ##
>

> Policy Proposal 123: Reserved Pool for Critical Infrastructure
>
> Proposal Originator: Martin Hannigan
>
> Proposal Version: 3.0
>
> Date: 23 Nov 2010
>
> Proposal type: Modify
>
> Policy term: 36 Months following implementation
>
> Policy statement:
>
> Upon receipt of the last /8 that the IANA will allocate to ARIN per the
> Global Policy for the Allocation of the Remaining IPv4 Address Space,
> ARIN will place an equivalent of a /16 of IPv4 address space in a
> reserve for Critical Infrastructure. If at the end of the policy term
> there is unused address space remaining in this pool, ARIN staff is
> authorized to utilize this space in a manner consistent with community
> expectations.
>
> Rationale:
>
> Section 4.10 of the NRPM is insufficient with respect to insuring the
> continued operation of critical infrastructure. This proposal, if
> adopted, will protect those resources with a reasonable amount of
> reserved v4 address space and prevent an overrun of CI needs by NRPM
> Section 4.10 or any successor. The intent is to separate CI needs and
> make a distinct pool available to insure the continuity of CI
> allocations per NRPM Section 4.4 for at least 36 months.
>
> This proposal should be considered an emergency proposal. IANA
> exhaustion is likely to occur prior to the next ARIN meeting.
>
> Timetable for implementation: Immediate

a.