ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] FW: JAS WG Milestone - response and recommendation

• To: Tijani BEN JEMAA <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] FW: JAS WG Milestone - response and recommendation
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 07:06:05 -0500

Colleagues,

I concur with Tijani that the issue of applicants located in _least_ developed economies/countries has been considered, along with the issue of applicants located in developing economies/countries.

I also concur with Tijani that "Entrepreneurs/SME's in Green Technology Solutions" is out of scope.

Having been personally involved in the effort to deliver the most needed aid to keep the Haitian network -- governmental, NGO, and private components -- operational during days 4 to 14 after last year's quake -- unglamorous diesel fuel for the generators at the Boutillier Hill NAP, which powered the only surviving link, the microwave relay to the DR, I reached the conclusion that the mode of energy, "green" or some other color, is irrelevant to the momentary operational requirements of internet infrastructure providers.

Some in the responder community advocated a change of technology, with "green" as a component of the proposed technologies, as the central element of the response, and many NGOs in place prior to the event used alternate technology (typically VSAT links to some NAP, restricted wireless or wireline, and solar/generator/battery power at the point of service). However, every kilometer of wireline infrastructure repaired delivered power and voice/data to all surviving structures and temporary camps passed by the repaired infrastructure, and most closely conformed to the momentary and most likely medium and long-term habitation, business and governmental situation on the ground.

The choice, made by the affected parties, not the responder community, to repair, not replace, the existing data wireline infrastructure and its non-green electrical dependency, as well as the non-green power distribution network (adjacent cable infrastructure), was, and remains, in my opinion, the better engineering choice.

A "green technology" may be relevant to the sustained operational requirements of internet infrastructure providers, in the long run, but our problem is the problem of the start-up.

Eric

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy