ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Fwd: Communique: Open Letter from DCA to US Department of Commerce

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Fwd: Communique: Open Letter from DCA to US Department of Commerce
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 23:15:24 -0500

On 20 Jan 2011, at 18:34, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:

> I've no idea how Avri thinks that anything Evan wrote amounts to delay.

You are right, I jumped to a conclusion.

Evan's note indicated that we were not into deciding that everything was done
and we should just move on with the application process, but that rather that
we believed we should fix what needs to be fixed before starting applications,
especially the fact that the current program severely disadvantages applicants
from developing economies.

I juxtaposed this to the ALAC position, a I understand it, that indicates that
things should be fixed before the program is initiated, even if that causes a
delay.

>From that I jumped to the conclusion that having JAS send a letter  saying we
>thought the program was not ready to go, rather than racing to try and get
>ready with aid by the time the program did move forward, was a way of
>tolerating or even encouraging delay.

Assuming I made an error, I apologize.

Although I will point out that this conversation or even the act of writing a
letter saying we disagree with DCA  and getting consensus on the words would
probably divert us from the JAS target and delay the work we are supposed to be
doing.

Though it does seem a fine thing for ALAC to do, if they so desire.

a.