ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Fwd: Communique: Open Letter from DCA to US Department of Commerce

  • To: "Richard Tindal" <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>, "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Fwd: Communique: Open Letter from DCA to US Department of Commerce
  • From: "Anthony Harris" <harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 11:36:51 -0300

I agree entirely with Richard on this, and am
supportive of any action taken which advocates
moving the new gTLD process to aperture.

In my experience of proceedings in ICANN, Cartagena
is a milestone that clearly demonstrated the sucess of
persistent and professional lobbying, in this particular
instance undertaken for the unmistakeable purpose
of blocking the progress of the new gTLD roll-out.

Let's not forget that for the objectives of this WG to
become applicable, we need new gTLDs to ACTUALLY
HAPPEN, and quite frankly Cartagena left me somewhat
uneasy as to this.

Tony Harris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Tindal" <richardtindal@xxxxxx> To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>; "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:58 PM

I know a little bit of Sophia's plans and I'm quite sure she's not advocating a suspension of any of the work this group is doing.

Rather, I think she believes there will be a long period of time between when the program officially 'starts' and when TLDs begin operating - long enough that almost all of the proposals of this group could be incorporated. As an example, the issue of the ongoing registry fee (currently $25K per year minimum plus $0.25 for every name over 50,000) is not closed when the Applicant Guidebook is finalized. If a lower fee is not included in the Final Applicant Guidebook there are many other opportunities to adjust the fee (I'll certainly be trying). I think her concern is that trying to nail down every single issue now will mean the TLD program never starts.

I also think its OK to lobby Government reps. I know for a fact that most groups who participate in ICANN do so. (disclosure - I do). Sophia's lobbying was transparent -- so that may
be viewed as a better thing.

Richard