ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Fwd: Communique: Open Letter from DCA to US Department of Commerce

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Fwd: Communique: Open Letter from DCA to US Department of Commerce
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 15:58:56 -0800

I know a little bit of Sophia's plans and I'm quite sure she's not advocating a
suspension of any of the work this group is doing.

Rather, I think she believes there will be a long period of time between when
the program officially 'starts' and when TLDs begin operating - long enough
that almost
all of the proposals of this group could be incorporated.       As an example,
the issue of the ongoing registry fee (currently $25K per year minimum plus
$0.25 for every name over
50,000) is not closed when the Applicant Guidebook is finalized.     If a lower
fee is not included in the Final Applicant Guidebook there are many other
opportunities to adjust the fee
(I'll certainly be trying).  I think her concern is that trying to nail down
every single issue now will mean the TLD program never starts.

I also think its OK to lobby Government reps.  I know for a fact that most
groups who participate in ICANN do so.   (disclosure  - I do).    Sophia's
lobbying was transparent --  so that may
be viewed as a better thing.

Richard