ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] from ICANN's legal on teh Charter issue

  • To: "SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] from ICANN's legal on teh Charter issue
  • From: Karla Valente <karla.valente@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 13:17:08 -0800

Dear JAS WG:

During our last meeting I was asked to seek some advice from ICANN's general
council in relation to the charter matter. Here is the response:

"The General Counsel's office received a request from the JAS for advice on how
the JAS should proceed in light of the competing extension charters as approved
by the ALAC and the GNSO.
There is no precedent for recommending how to proceed here, and this situation
does not pose any Bylaws-related issues.  We encourage the GNSO and ALAC to
work together to determine how to proceed in light of the Board's 28 October
2010 Resolutions encouraging "the JAS WG and other stakeholders to continue
their work on the matter, and in particular, provide specific guidelines on the
implementation of their recommendations such as determining the criteria for
eligibility for support" and stressing "that any needy applicant support
program must have a sustainable funding model that may be independent of ICANN
and can be implemented transparently, and effectively to the benefit of the
global Internet community."

I believe that the GNSO and ALAC already restarted a dialogue. Looking forward
to a resolution.

We will have our meeting on Tuesday. Invitations will be sent soon.

Have a nice weekend!

Thank you and kind regards,

Karla Valente
Director