ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS-LABELS, three use cases, and three non-goals

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS-LABELS, three use cases, and three non-goals
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 10:03:46 -0500

[Colleagues,

I won't use the "JAS-IDN" token as the construct of "IDN" overlooks the important (at least in the Americas and Africa) case where Latin (or Arabic) script is used to write non-Latin (non-Semetic) languages. ICANN's ccTLD IDN FastTrack has suffered from the problem of offering nothing to iso3166 entities which use "decorated Latin", and that is not a "feature" to replicate here, in my opinion.

What follows reflects some of the conversations primarily between Andrew and I, though others have made interventions that have been contributory to this.

I'm not using "bundling" as a term. While it is attractive as an idea, it isn't yet completely defined, nor is it the only means for fee-specific financial assistance to be made available to two or more related applications. Related is keeping the scope of similar answers to Question 18 alone, allowing similar applications by distinct applicants. In a subsequent note I'll sketch out use cases for assistance.

Eric]

Use Case 1: We expect one or more pairs of applications for two strings in two scripts, one Latin, one non-Latin, brought by a single applicant with similar answers to Question 18, relating to the mission or purpose of the applicant.

To provide one understandable example, there could be an application for ".ᏣᎳᎩ", pronounced "tsa-la-gi", and meaning the Cherokee people and language. Because a minority of Cherokee people currently use Tsalagi script with any facility, but the strategic goal of all of the Cherokee governments is improved language skills, using both Latin and Tsalagi scripts, neither a Latin, nor a Tsalagi script string, alone would meet the social and governmental needs.

A similar example would be an application for "ᓀᐦᐃᔭᐤ", pronounced "nêhiyaw", meaning Cree. Because Southern Cree communities use Latin script. neither a Latin, nor a Cree script string, alone would meet the social and governmental needs.

Use Case 2: We expect one or more pairs of applications for two strings in one script brought by a single applicant with similar answers to Question 18, relating to the mission or purpose of the applicant.

To provide an understandable example, there could be an application for ".diné", the short form of Diné bizaad (Navajo language). Because a majority of Indian people are aware of the English word "Navajo", but not the Diné bizaad word "Diné", neither a "decorated Latin", nor an undecorated Latin script string, alone would meet the social and governmental needs.

A similar example would be an application for ".arab",

Generalizing, the use case where Latin script and a non-Latin script strings are necessary to meet the social and governmental needs is latent in all areas where the Latin script is dominant or less, but not exclusionary. The use case where Latin script strings are necessary to meet the social and governmental needs is latent in all areas where the Latin script has been adopted by non-Latin language communities.

Use case 3: We expect one or more pairs of applications for two or more scripts, both non-Latin, brought by a single applicant with similar answers to Question 18, relating to the mission or purpose of the applicant.

To provide an understandable example, there could be an application for ".दवा", pronounced "davā", in Devanagari script, meaning "medicine" in Standard Hindi, and one or more additional applications for strings in Bengali script, Arabic script, etc. Because a plurality of South Asian language co-exist in large urban agglomerations in and in large areas of South Asia, a Devanagari script string, or a Bengali script string, or an Arabic script string alone would meet the social and governmental needs. Incidental to these needs, a Latin script string could be necessary to meet the social and governmental needs.

To provide an understandable example, there could be an application for ".ยา", in Thai script, pronounced "Yā", also meaning "medicine", and one or more additional applications for strings in Lao script, Khmer script, etc. Because a plurality of Southeast Asian language co-exist in large urban agglomerations in and in large areas of Southeast Asia, a Thai script string, or a Lao script string, or a Khmer script string alone would meet the social and governmental needs. Incidental to these needs, a Han (Chinese) script string could be necessary to meet the social and governmental needs.

Generalizing, the use case where two or more non-Latin scripts are necessary to meet the social and governmental needs is latent in all areas where the communities are linguistically plural.

With these use cases enumerated, we can state some non-goals.

It is a non-goal to cause cost to reduce existing linguistic diversity.

It is a non-goal to cause cost to reduce existing linguistic equivalence.

And it is a non-goal to use linguistic diversity to promote the interests of registry operators.