ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] fundraising and the donor community

  • To: Anthony Harris <harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] fundraising and the donor community
  • From: Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:14:51 -0500

Tony,

This is helpful, thanks.  I know the Italians have not been the only ones
looking at this.  They came to my mind given their relationship with the WB
-- where they've co-funded a number of activities connected to our space --
but you're right, they're by no means alone.

I think we should test the waters with any number of donors, once we have
our "development rationale" in place of course.

Good news is that if we are coherent and can attract even preliminary
interest from a few donors, it could give us some leverage with ICANN to ask
for bundled/reduced price approaches as part of our work.

In a perfect world, a combination of donor + foundations/trusts + corporate
foundations would be best I think, since it would provide "defense" against
charges that this was either (pick one)
     a) not connected to development/not a priority
     b) not sustainable, since too small
     c) anti-competitive, in some way hurting business and/or the cc's

I think working on that "what's in it for the donor" one-pager is a pretty
high priority at this stage, since without it we're very limited in who
might support this work.

AAM

--
*