ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] New JAS WG members - welcome!

  • To: Alice Munyua <alice@xxxxxxx>, Tracy Hackshaw <Tracy.Hackshaw@xxxxxxxxx>, Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak@xxxxxxxxx>, Karla Valente <karla.valente@xxxxxxxxx>, "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>, admin@xxxxxxxxxxx, rudi.vasnick@xxxxxxx, Mike Silber <silber.mike@xxxxxxxxx>, fouadbajwa@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] New JAS WG members - welcome!
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 11:49:26 -0700

Thanks Alice.      For me one of the most difficult GAC requests to satisfy is
their 10.1

> 10.1
>
> Main issues
>
> 1. Cost Considerations
>
> Set technical and other requirements, including cost considerations, at a
> reasonable and proportionate level in order not to exclude stakeholders from
> developing countries from participating in the new gTLD process.

A primary reason the Application Fee is high ($185K) is that the Applicant
Guidebook (AG)  has been crammed full of checks, reviews, studies, protections,
certifications, security levels, operating requirements,  etc, etc.      At the
request of many parties,  including the GAC and IPC,  selection of a Registry
operator now involves an enormous number of steps and operating a TLD is now
quite expensive due to the many security, trademark and consumer protections
required.       I am surprised the $185K (set in 2009) has not increased as
more and more requirements are loaded into the AG.

I dont think the GAC is asking for a reduction in any of these requirements, in
fact their February Scorecard asks for more, so I interpret 10.1 as requesting
a fee discount for needy applicants (from developing countries) rather than a
lowering of other requirements for those applicants.

I'm not opposed to a fee discount, we just have to determine who qualifies and
where the money comes from.

Richard