ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On the IDN criteria

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On the IDN criteria
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 15:27:12 -0400

Colleagues,

I'm confused by the choice of metrics. We have "presence on the web", which could be measured by numbers of pages in a script measured by a convenient means, and "[number of] users", measured presumably by other means.

Additionally, the restriction to scripts, rather than languages, like the ccTLD IDN FastTrack, eliminates almost all of the Americas, and most of Africa, and when Han (Chinese), Arabic (Arabic, Farsi/Dari, Urdu), Cyrillic and Indic scripts are eliminated (see either metric above), leaves very little likely to be of use.

I don't think the proper scope of using the DNS as a means for languages communities to offer persistent resource identifiers to the readers, writers and speakers of those languages should be limited to exclude those languages which have managed to survive the imposition of Latin, Cyrillic, Han, or Arabic orthographies.

Restated, our mission is not to encourage the destruction of living languages currently encoded for convenience in Latin, Cyrillic, Han, or Arabic scripts.

I suggest the better choice is to use "language" rather than "script", as the element of diversity, and of public interest, to be advanced.

There are several languages that use more than one script. Yiddish is written in either Hebrew or Latin script. Arabic is written in either Arabic or Latin script. Hindi-Urdu is written as Hindi in Devanagari script, and as Urdu in Arabic script. Cree is written in either Unified Canadian Aboriginal Syllabary or Latin script. Cherokee is written in either Cherokee Syllabary or Latin script ...

There are scripts which are used to write more than one language. Many Indo-European languages are written in Latin script. Urdu, Dari, Farsi, and Arabic are written in Arabic script. ...

The 20% rule usefully addresses a language community using two scripts, and a community using two or more languages.

The parenthetical note on the next bullet item, "An NGO, company or other entity ..." I don't understand. What technical support could be offered and why would the applicant's technical needs be distinguishable from any other applicant's technical needs? Clarification of what is meant by "technical support" might remove this lack of clarity.

For competition policy reasons I would prefer that the forth bullet item contain an explicit limitation so that Verisign can not claim "support" under any color of serving the public interest.

The use only one script rule is particularly unfortunate. It is irrational to apply for only a Unified Canadian Aboriginal Syllabary string, as more than half the populations speaking languages encoded in UCAS in the Northern Roadless Area, live south of the Northern Roadless Area and use Latin script. It is even less rational to apply for a Cherokee Syllabary string, as the majority of Cherokees (all three polities) use Latin script. Yet in both cases, the common public policy goals of Aboriginal Language Maintenance and Recovery are for the dual use of both scripts, not the abandonment of one, and the loss of its speakers to the dominant language, English or French.

A similar situation arises in Sub-Saharan Africa, where Latin and Arabic scripts co-exist.

If we were sure that an application for ".foo" in Script X would, within 12 or 24 months, receive a delegation for the corresponding ".bar" in Script Y, then there would be a way to work around the unfortunate effect of selecting the largest (number of domain buyers) language/script market first. Absent this, the pick the most money approach means we will have created discrimination within communities, and therefore be responsible for the strife that may follow.

I look forward to tomorrow's concall and discussion.

Eric