ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Additional Criteria "Indigenous Peoples"

  • To: Mike Silber <silber.mike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Additional Criteria "Indigenous Peoples"
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 14:24:13 -0400

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry I missed the shot-down-by-Avri moment as there is a natural tension between the ALAC charter, which imports, even if silently, the public interest purpose of the ALAC, and the GNSO charter, now somewhat lapsed, which reflects its stakeholders' interests. Strings and their applicants can have purposes in the ALAC sense, benefiting a public interest or indifferent to any public purpose, and have no purpose whatsoever other than surviving string contention and advancing the applicants return on investment goals, in the GNSO sense.

I hope the shot-down-by-Avri moment did not occur while she was co-chair, as co-chairs really should not advocate on minor points, let alone a substantive issue such as whether the purpose of an applicant is relevant to its eligibility standing for assistance.

We have the same natural tension when we look at one half of Resolution 20, which references cost, with no other policy reference, consistent with the Board's position that there is only one application window, and no policy based distinction between applications, except where a specific condition in the string contention mechanism is called for. Fortunately, the second half of Resolution 20 mentions diversity and development, which accommodates the public interest goals of the At Large Advisory Committee.

Now it is possible that an applicant for such a name will restrict its
use to one community or one language or one script - however it is
likely to be attractive to multiple communities, using multiple
languages and multiple scripts.

The string, if "desi", is in Latin script, and the languages and scripts the operator may allow -- and only Urdu may present a directionality restriction (due to a defect in the Unicode bidi algorithm which treats "." as a sentence terminator, with directionality properties, rather than as an opaque label separator, with no directionality properties) will exist at the second level.

Based on the current formulation a for profit applicant based in the
subcontinent's diaspora (let us say the USA) is very unlikely to succeed
in a request for assistance, while a not for profit applicant based for
example in Nepal is quite likely to succeed, given the other criteria.
HOWEVER the USE to which the string is intended to be used may be identical.

Correct. However, if the applicant from Nepal does not identify the applicant as community-based, the existing string contention rules will result in allocation between the for-profit US-based applicant and the non-profit Nepal-based applicant by auction, which is more likely to result in an allocation to the for-profit US-based applicant.

This in my view leads to problems of unequal treatment based on
accidents of geography and more importantly the possibility of gaming
the system.

Please see above.

Now I recognise that "purpose" is a difficult criterion to measure
objectively and there is no provision in the RAA to hold an applicant to
the purpose described (just have a look at the difficulties it has
created in the sponsored TLD round). However it is in my view something
that should be considered in evaluating requests for financial
assistance.

Agree. Finding "purpose" in evaluating applications for assistance is distinct from the absence of any test for "purpose" in the application evaluation process.

... Not that the purpose has to be "not for profit" in all cases
- I think a good case can be made for a profitable TLD sustaining a
community objective.

Agree. However, this is still theoretical as no existing gTLD is both for-profit and profitable and sustaining a community objective.

PuntCat's formation is non-profit, though it is profitable, and sustains a community objective. It is challenging to discern a community objective being supported by many of the 2004 sTLDs, as you mention.

Anyway - one more try and I will retire to my observer ivory tower.

I'm glad you did though I think conflating gaming the general application evaluation with gaming the specific application assistance evaluation mixes two distinct phases of the still-in-drafts-processes.

Eric