ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] - Proposed formula edit

  • To: "'Alain Berranger'" <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>, "'soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx'" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] - Proposed formula edit
  • From: "Tijani BEN JEMAA" <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 23:04:50 +0100

Dear Alain,

The JAS working group was created according to the ICANN Board resolution 20
:

            ………..

Whereas, numerous stakeholders have, on various occasions, expressed concern
about the cost of applying for new gTLDs, and suggested that these costs
might hinder applicants requiring assistance, especially those from
developing countries.

Resolved (2010.03.12.46), the Board recognizes the importance of an
inclusive New gTLD Program.

Resolved (2010.03.12.47), the Board requests stakeholders to work through
their SOs and ACs, and form a Working Group to develop a sustainable
approach to providing support to applicants requiring assistance in applying
for and operating new gTLDs .

This working group has a precise mission of developing a sustainable
approach to providing support to applicants requiring assistance in applying
for and operating new gTLDs.

The WG worked for months under a charter that detailed its mission and
objectives, and produced a milestone report that was adopted by the
chartering organizations (ALAC and GNSO) and sent to the ICANN Board.

The board requested precisions and details about the metrics and mechanisms
that will be used to verify the need criteria mentioned in the milestone
report. Then the chartering organizations approved a new charter for this
phase of the WG.

I do think that we have the obligation to follow our charter and the
resolution 20 closely and not divert from them.

This is said, I don’t mean we don’t have to consider the application, and we
did in the milestone report. We can reinforce the public interest
requirement in our metrics and mechanisms.

Merci Alain pour votre contribution et vos efforts.

Tijani BEN JEMAA

Directeur exécutif

Fédération Méditerranéenne des Associations d'Internet

Phone : + 216 70 825 231

Mobile : + 216 98 330 114

Fax     : + 216 70 825 231

  _____