ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] - Proposed formula edit

  • To: Tijani BEN JEMAA <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] - Proposed formula edit
  • From: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 10:36:31 -0400

Dear Tijani,

Thank you for this reminder and briefing. As an ICANN new comer, it is much
appreciated when a more experienced person takes the time to explain the
situation and background to me.

Tijani, do you consider that my proposed formula edit, and the comments
accompanying it, are not in the spirit and letter of our charter? If so,
I'll gladly withdraw it and strike it up as a lesson in my ICANN learning
curve!

I understand our terms of reference require we propose metrics and
mechanisms. I just wanted to point out that, in my 10 years experience
working in a grantmaking institution, I have found that metrics and
mechanisms are absolutely necessary but not entirely sufficient. I have
found that standard due diligence in regards to applicants and extremely
detailed review of their applications were critical to making "successful"
grants. What makes a "successful grant" is a subject in itself. As you point
out, going beyond metrics and mechanisms is probably beyond our charter.

A question: by sustainable approach, did the Board mean a grantmaking
approach that would lead to a grantee's gTLD operations becoming sustainable
because of ICANN'a financial assistance?

Thanks for the nod of appreciation too!

Salutations amicales, Alain