ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Additional Criteria "Indigenous Peoples"

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Additional Criteria "Indigenous Peoples"
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 09:03:47 -0400

Howdy Richard,

These are just guesses on my part.

On 4/26/11 8:18 PM, Richard Tindal wrote:
Thanks. I apologize for not being on top of current WG thinking -- but
would the following, broad approach be something the WG strongly supports?

    * ICANN creates a Foundation for new gTLD applicant support and
      funds $$$ for this Foundation from its reserve

The ALAC contributors, and some GNSO contributors to the JAS WG envision an entity to collect and distribute resources. The corporate form of the entity is as yet undetermined. Compare, the GNSO charter (last I looked at it) does not envision such an entity, as the resources which that document references are direct contributions.

    * Others could contribute cash or services to the Foundation

Modulo the GNSO proposal to make assistance direct, parties other than those which, for whatever reasons, e.g., self-interest, or public interest, provide assistance directly, may make contributions to an entity, or several entities, engaged primarily, or secondarily, in assisting applicants meeting the criteria produced by this working group.

    * A panel of qualified persons would be selected to manage the
      Foundation

A nice assumption, but it could include unqualified persons too, this is "ICANN" after all and anything is possible. A possibility is that parties opposed to Res 20 and/or any public interest theory, and I can think of quite a few, could claim a right under the "multi-stakeholder" model to participate in the management of the entity or entities.

    * The Foundation would be used to make grants to worthy new gTLD
      applications - i.e. the grants would support the best proposals
      based on a competitive grant process

While there is a possible ranking latent in the criteria, and a possible allocation mechanism other than first-come, first-served, until resource exhaustion, where insufficient resources are considered, I'm not aware of a ranking proposal.

    * The number of grants would be limited by the funds in the
      Foundation.

This assumes that the assistance is limited to monetary awards only. The range of possible forms of assistance includes fee waivers, cash, and non-cash assistance, each possibly finite, and not necessarily co-finite (for want of a better term), and exhausted simultaneously.

    * Criteria for awarding grants would be based on the
      recommendations of this WG - including Panel assessments of the
      community benefit of the application

It seems likely that at least guidance will come from this working group.

    * Individual grants might be up to $200,000 each

or $2 total. We don't know.

    * Any excess funds from auction proceeds from the new gTLD process
      would be used to repay the reserve fund first, and then be
      directed towards the Foundation

This assumes that (a) there is an auction process, and (b) it generates funds, and (c) some of those funds are allocated to this particular purpose. See comments from the GNSO participants for contra-indications.

Cheers,
Eric

Richard