ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Additional Criteria "Indigenous Peoples"

  • To: Mike Silber <silber.mike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Additional Criteria "Indigenous Peoples"
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:59:37 -0400

Mike, you are not alone in believing that the use to which the TLD will be put is important. Perhaps I am less worried about offending someone, but to be blunt, no matter how good their credentials (or how bad their financial situation), anyone is capable of a dumb idea, and I can see no reason that ICANN or anyone one else should support them in such a case. There is growing agreement with this in the WG.

In international development cooperation, it is now in vogue to simply give money to a country (perhaps loosely targeted at a sector) and trust them to put it to good use. But for more traditional support, and still for pretty much all non-bilateral support, the projected use of the funds is at least as critical as who is receiving the support.

A problem is, as you imply, that separating "good" applications from those which are not worthy of support is both difficult and subjective - both things that ICANN tends to shy away from in evaluations.

Alan