ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] ALAC statement on the GAC scorecard

  • To: Alex Gakuru <gakuru@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] ALAC statement on the GAC scorecard
  • From: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 14:00:48 -0400

Hello Alex,

I do not know the history of funding of ICANN.

 I will however try to address the question of cost recovery in grantmaking
in general.

Cost recovery in grantmaking is possible and is done on occasion, but it is
not the most common grantmaking practice. Cost recovery however is an
integral part of Program-related Investments (PIRs) by grantmakers.

Cost recovery from the grantseeker/grantee is usually independant of how the
original endowment or grant capital of the grantmaker was assembled. Cost
recovery is simply based on a grantee giving-back to the granter in cases
when the grant turns out to be more funding that actually needed by the
grantseeker. By returning unused or unnecessary grant moneys, the grantee
recognises that other grantseekers will make a better use of these extra
resources. It is a fair play in cash flow, an efficient economic use of
funds or else the original grantee will actually generate an extraordinary
one time surplus equal to the unused net grant resources.

So I would argue that the grantmaker is not double-dipping by using cost
recovery but simply being a good financial and economic manager of
resources, redistributing grant money where it is most needed. It is a bit
like recycling extra assistance moneys to those in need now from those that
needed it once and/or for a period of time, but do not need it anymore.

In Program-related Investments (PRIs), the principle of cost recovery is
central. I would therefore suggest that ICANN considers granting financial
assistance for new gTLDs, in cases where financial assistance is needed, on
the basis of PRIs and not simply non-reimbursable grants.

I hope this helps!

Alain

--
Alain Berranger, B.Eng, MBA